It’s not long now before we can say goodbye to Spring, and hello to Summer!
For many people, this summer means sitting by the pool and heading to the beach, while for others it means slaving away at your Christmas casual job until the start of January. However, there are plenty of fun things to do in Melbourne this summer – whether it be for everyday, the weekend or just on your day off!
To give you a few ideas, here is a list of things that I’m planning to do in Melbourne this summer!
• • •
1. GO TO A FESTIVAL
Nothing is better than letting loose at a summer festival! From music to arts and culture, there are some spectacular and incredible festivals happening around Melbourne in Summer.
- The Falls Music & Arts Festival [Dec 28- Jan 1] Sold out on official website but try Gumtree!
- Beyond the Valley [Dec 30 – Jan 1]
- St Jerome’s Laneway Festival [Feb 7]
- Soundwave [Feb 22]
- St Kilda Festival [Jan 31 – Feb 8]
2. SEE A FLICK AT AN OPEN-AIR CINEMA
Open-Air Cinemas are a great place to take some friends, sit back, relax and enjoy some good entertainment, while watching a cult classic or newly released flick! With a few different cinemas in Melbourne, you’ll have a few good movies to choose from!
- Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinema in St Kilda [Until Dec 21]
- The Moonlight Cinema in the Royal Botanic Gardens [Dec 4 – March 29]
- Rooftop Cinema in Melbourne CBD [Dec 6 – April]
3. SIP ON SOME FANCY DRINKS AT A ROOFTOP BAR
Embrace the hot summer air and get a refreshment above the city streets. These rooftop bars provide incredible views of Melbourne, amazing cocktails and appetizers, and are totally instagram-worthy!
- Naked In The Sky on Brunswick Street for panoramic views and an extensive list of cocktails, including their in-house vodka infusions!
- Madame Brussels on Bourke Street for a more retro vibe [just a little bit more pricey]!
- Rooftop Bar on Swanston Street to be surrounded by fairy lights and city lights right in the heart of the CBD.
- Captain Baxter in St Kilda for a beautiful beach backdrop and delicious cocktail jugs.
4. SHOP TIL YOU DROP AT A MARKET
Fresh fruit and veggies, gourmet food, clothing, jewellery, souvenirs, artwork and antiques – markets are an absolute delight for bargain hunters and those looking for something unique!
- Queen Victoria Market’s Suzuki Night Market [Every Wednesday Night]
- St Kilda Twilight Market [Every Thursday Night in Summer]
- Camberwell Market [Every Sunday]
5. GO ON A ROAD TRIP
I don’t think there is anything better than rolling the windows down, opening up the sunroof, pumping up the tunes and going on an epic road trip. There are quite a few great day trips (or weekend stays) from Melbourne CBD!
- The Great Ocean Road – one of the world’s most scenic coastal drives! [2 hour drive from CBD]
- Mornington Peninsula – home to many markets, hot springs and many beautiful seaside towns [1.5 hour drive from CBD]
- Phillip Island – catch some waves or visit the penguins [1.5 hour drive from CBD]
- Yarra Valley – a scenic drive to the wineries and food tastings [1 hour drive from CBD]
6. GO OUT FOR BRUNCH
One thing Melbourne is known for is its buzzing café culture and amazing coffee!
7. BE ADVENTUROUS AND GO HIKING
Embrace nature and take on some hard hikes around the city. Not only will it leave you feeling nice and fit, but you’ll be walking through some of Victoria’s most beautiful scenery and nature.
- Sherbrooke Forest Walk
- 1000 Steps in the Dandenongs
8. SIT BACK AND WATCH SOME SPORT
Melbourne is known as the sporting capital of Australia, so it’s only fair that I include some kind of sport event on this list! And, of course, here I’m talking about the Australia Open – the first Grand Slam title of the tennis season! Whether you buy a ticket and go to Melbourne Park or stay home and watch it on TV, it is sure to be entertaining! [Jan 19 – Feb 1]
It’s also cricket season, if you’re into that!
9. EAT, EAT AND EAT!
I know, when do you ever need an excuse to eat? But think about it – summer means plenty of fresh fruits, ice cream and froyo – PERFECT!
10. HAVE A BBQ OR PICNIC WITH FRIENDS
Not only is this a cheap way to catch up with your friends but it’s a nice way to enjoy the hot summer air in Melbourne!
These tips can be implemented all around the world! All you need to do is find the local activities happening in your area over summer!